Home Decor, DIY, Life

DIY Day 1: CRATES THAT HIDE CORDS, SUBWOOFERS AND GAME CONSOLES

For the first of our five-part series, I thought I'd start with the easiest DIY that fixes a major living room eye sore. I'd also like to use this forum to express my satisfaction with the sound from the regular TV speaker. But I also sometimes watch SD channels without realizing it so I don't get to make the electronic decisions around the house. I'm told the sound quality from a flat screen is quite poor, so if your counterpart or roommate is insistent on having an external sound system,  this is an easy solution for the cumbersome subwoofer that comes along with it and any other cable boxes/routers/etc. that you'd prefer not be visible. The spaces in between the boards allow for remote censors, but we just left our DVR out because it's pretty small and let's be honest, I didn't feel like staining another crate. Here at Be There in Five we are B+ kind of people.

Our current setup. Next post will be about this TV stand you can make for <$100.

Our current setup. Next post will be about this TV stand you can make for <$100.

The incredibly easy Instructions (all product links at the end of the post):

Before and after at our last apartment when this DIY first took place

Before and after at our last apartment when this DIY first took place

  • Buy plain birch wooden crates depending on the size of what you're hiding, pictured dimensions are 17.5x12.5x9.25. There are a ton of these at craft stores like Michael's and also on Amazon (below)

 

  • Buy a half pint of wood stain (ours is Minwax Special Walnut). 

 

  • Lightly sand crates with sandpaper and apply stain with a lint-free rag (or t-shirt). If you need more hand holding on stain application there are a million Youtube videos about it!

 

  • Once it dries, stuff everything you can in it and tape excess cords together then to the bottom of TV stand or along the back of legs. 

 

 

To make this quick I didn't even stain the inside, but I would suggest getting a small brush so you can stain the visible part of the cracks. This honestly took about 15 minutes total. These will get more complicated as the week goes on, so stay tuned :)